Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pages From The Memory Vault Book III Part X

So apparently I'm doing these around every ten days now. Seriously, I'm not really planning this, it just seems to magically be working out that way. Oh well, moving on then...

Ah, the life of a High Schooler. One can never be too sure what to expect out of High School until it's thrust upon you and you either go with its ebbs and flows, or you attempt to fight its current like a salmon. I kind of fell in the middle category. I was more akin to a frog hanging around in the rushing waters not really wanting to feebly attempt to join in on any one 'clique' (not that I was invited, you see) or hide out among the lilies and pretend not to be noticed. I had friends. That wasn't the issue. I never actively tried to be the morose teen who stuck to the shadows and was always referred to as 'weird'. Well, that's not entirely true either. I was 'weird', but for vastly different reasons. What I was, was popular not because of the groups I freely associated with, but because of the fact that I could move freely among all the groups like some kind of chameleon. A chameleon with the ability to draw.

Drawing came in instantly handy when I was first introduced into the fray of kids who -in a broad sense- already knew each other and had already coagulated into the various gelled groups. I felt a little lost at first, but as I said, having a talent immediately garnered me a kind of 'Get Out Of Jail Free' card and I was quickly absorbed into various collectives. I would doodle incessantly and those who sat around me in class latched on and took a liking to what I could do. Word spread pretty quickly and soon everyone, for one reason or another, was asking me to draw things for them. I would do work on posters for big sporting events, work on posters for Homecoming Games, artwork for projects kids were doing for various things, and even artwork for teachers for their classrooms. Sometimes the artwork both got me in with the cool kids and a better grade with the teachers, like killing several birds with one stone! It was pretty sweet.

But, as I said, I still had friends who were just friends whether I drew for them or not. And soon I had kind of formed my own little group of kids who all felt like I did: we didn't care about the cool cliques or the jock cliques or the nerd cliques... we were just kind of a rag tag crew who liked hanging out and that was all there was to it. It was more or less an 'All Are Welcome' deal and we all liked it that way.

Eventually, the artwork would both elevate me to High School stardom, and destroy me. And we'll get into that next time. Why? Because cliff hangers are neat!

No comments:

Post a Comment